Quick Tip From the Author

To understand the full scope of the blog, begin with the 2009 posts and read forward. Thanks!

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Spiritual Abuse Part Two

My second experience with spiritual abuse occurred in the same little college town I spoke of before.

During the escapade with the lawyer and his wife, another couple in the church took me under their wings.  I looked up to them as a spiritual mother and father of sorts.  I was good friends with their daughter and they advised me on life issues such as marriage, etc.

One evening, while I was sitting in their home (I was wearing shorts, I think) and while the wife was doing something else, the husband ran his finger down my bare leg in a seductive way.

Not understanding nor wanting to embarrass him, I told him in the kitchen that this was not OK with me and that I had been sexually abused in my childhood and wanted no such touching.

He teared up and said how very sorry he was.  This looked like genuine repentance to me so I let it go and said nothing.

I can't remember as well as I once did but I believe it was that very same evening when he repeated the action with a leering gaze.

I determined to leave and not return.  I never told his wife or daughter what had happened but just distanced myself from them.

I think my faith in men was pretty damaged that day.  I really looked up to this man as a father figure.  He didn't deserve it.

This was my first experience with men in the church "coming onto me" but it certainly wasn't to be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment