Quick Tip From the Author

To understand the full scope of the blog, begin with the 2009 posts and read forward. Thanks!

Sunday, November 3, 2013

You Have Now Achieved Cult Status

I made an important decision the other day, after reading an article sent to me by a gal who is still connected to Milestone. I'm going to stop referring to it as a "church" or even a "cult-like church." I've been attempting to be nice. I'm going to call it what it is. It's a cult.

I think I've been avoiding this label wanting it to not be true in some way. But after this gal sent me a handy little list of "how to spot a cult," I knew I'd have to change my thinking.

Rick Ross (20 Characteristics)

Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.

Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.*

No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.*

No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.*

Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.*

Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.*

There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.*

Followers feel they can never be "good enough".*

The group/leader is always right.*

The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.*

Each point with an asterisk is one that I feel applies to Milestone. So, really, there is only one that doesn't apply. However, if I changed that slightly to: "Unreasonable belief that they are the 'right' church which is doing things 'the best,' (they would say 'with excellence,' which is really a derogatory phrase implying that others AREN'T) well then, I'd slap a little star on that one as well.

I recently had a friend inform me that she had returned to Milestone (I mentioned this in an earlier post) and that she felt things are "better." As I mulled this over for a few days, I realized that what she said about "every church having its problems" is true. But not every church is a cult. Not every church has arrogant leadership. Not every church has a nasty way of dealing with those who see things differently. Not every church trumps up charges against people and lies about them. Not every church simply refuses to admit their wrongs and humbly confess their faults. So, short answer: not just another "human church."

Cult.

No comments:

Post a Comment